Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Engrish that makes you go "huh?"

Korea has put a big emphasis on English in schools, businesses, music, and advertising. It's nice that there are a lot of things in English...however, sometimes it makes absolutely no sense. Google translate has given me some very interesting literal translations before, and it seems that people rely on that a little too heavily here in Korea. Here are some examples of Engrish I've seen that make you go "huh?".
Huh???
The other...what?


SM Entertainment t-shirt. I'm not surprised at their Engrish, as they are notorious for having nonsense English thrown in the music they produce. For example, here's the English in one of their songs: "Careless, careless. Shoot anonymous, anonymous. Heartless, mindless. No one. Who care about me?" You'd think with all the money they make, they'd be able to hire someone who knows proper English...or at least ask one of their English speaking artists.
"Myung-In dumplings always like the first time materials and carefuly to our customers will make a tasty dumplings."
This place is currently "Close." not "closed"
 One of the most common English words: Welcome, or should I say Welcom...
 The name of a cafe that sells sandwiches.
 This backpack is an Au hentic Airwalk, as in the real deal...
 Classy people of urban lifestyle...
 Not 7th, but 7st.
 Here's one of my favorites. I found this poem on a coffee carrier.
Espresso of Street: when I walk on the street with my coffee, I smile. I feel so good and happy. magical thing! it's a cup of coffee.
Found on a file folder:
 Coffee...a perfect blend of hell, death, and love.
 Lotteria's (the McDonald's of Korea) catch phrase.

No comments:

Post a Comment