Thursday, October 3, 2013

Hong Kong Trip Day 1

During my Chuseok holiday I had the opportunity to go to Hong Kong with Krista, my friend from high school in Ecuador who also happens to be currently living in S.Korea.
I'm glad I brought the game Dutch Blitz with me, as our flight time kept on changing so it was nice having a game to help pass the time. However, it is much more interesting when you have four players instead of two.

On our plane, ready to go to Hong Kong.

I was a bit sick, so I wore a face mask. I spent the duration of the trip sounding like a dying frog whenever I tried to speak. For some reason, whenever I get a cold I completely lose my voice.

Can you guess what the first thing we did when we arrived in Hong Kong? Go to Disneyland of course!!! It's quite a bit smaller than the Disneyland in California, but it's also half the price. They had a bunch of the popular rides such as Space Mountain and Jungle River Cruise and a couple of fun new ones (Runaway Mine Cars and Mystic Manor). No Pirates ride though...or pineapple ice cream...so sad. What was really cool was that there were NO long lines. I think the longest we waited for a ride was 30 minutes.

It's Mickey!!!

Happy, happy, happy!


At the Sleeping Beauty Castle.

Space Mountain at Tomorrowland!

Snow White and her dwarves.

Adventureland! The Jungle River Cruise was here...it had fountains and shooting fire. Pretty impressive. The Runaway Mine Cars roller coaster was also quite fun. The part of the ride where we started going backwards was quite unexpected.

Tarzan treehouse.

Mystic Manor where the monkey touches the forbidden jewel and all things come to life. The monkey has got to be related to Abu.


Do you think I qualify to enter Monster's U?

We hadn't realized before going to Hong Kong that we'd be there in time for their Mid-Autumn Festival. It was perfect timing though, since we got to attend some great cultural events. Our first night there, we went to the Tai Hang Fire Dragon dance. In the 19th Century the people of Tai Hang began performing a dragon dance to stop a run of bad luck affecting their village. More than a century later, Tai Hang has been all but swallowed up by Hong Kong's fast growing city, but the dragon keeps on dancing. The people of Tai Hang no longer fish or farm for a living, but they still perform the fire dragon dance during the three days of the Mid-Autumn Festival. The event involves 300 performers, 72,000 incense sticks, and a 67-meter long dragon.

The performers, adding the incense sticks to the dragon. We found a spot near the tail of the dragon.

And the dance begins. The dragon wound its way through the streets, so we got to see it a few times. It was pretty awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment