Monday, September 2, 2013

Ocean trip

 I know it's been a while since I've last made an update on what's going on in my life here, so it's time to play catch-up. Summer has been pretty busy but I did get the chance to take off for a weekend in Jinju to visit Krista. Summer in S.Korea can get very hot and very humid, so we decided to take a little trip to Namildae beach. Many of the beaches in S.Korea tend to be extremely crowded, but this tiny little beach has seemed to escape much of the public eye. There was a sign on one of the buildings there that claimed that we were in Orange County...me thinks we're a bit far from southern California.

We enjoyed a little picnic and went swimming in the water. I missed having a buggie board, but since there are no waves there it'd be pointless to have one. What I found interesting is that almost everyone that got in the water had an inner tube. S.Korea is surrounded by water on three sides, but apparently there are many people that don't know how to swim or seem to have . Krista went for a little swim to the buoys and back, and people kept asking me if she was a competive swimmer. They were shocked when I told them that she wasn't, that she just swam for fun. We did end up joining the crowd using inner tubes and enjoyed some time just floating in the water. What's nice about the beaches here, is that you don't have to worry about bringing tubes or umbrellas with you. There are people that rent them out to you for the day. They also have publics bath houses, so no need to travel back all sandy and sticky.

Another thing that we found amusing were the "sun bathing" ladies. They were lying out in the sand fully clothed, covered up with towels and umbrellas. I think they had the wrong definition of what sun bathing really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment